Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Not-So-Scary Place



Greetings from the Middle East! 
(Or should I say, Shalom!?)

I came half way around the world (literally). Over the summer I also visited, and traveled all around Israel, and even Jordan. We went north, south, east, and west, and there is one thing I learned quickly last time I came to this country the size of New Jersey… it's not as scary as you think it is. 


Sure, the conflict with its Arab neighbors is all over every major international newspaper, and most of us have a vague understanding of the scary Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But I think very few people realize how first world this country really is. Everyday life for an Israeli (not living in East Jerusalem or the West Bank) is pretty "normal." I would even go as far as to say Tel Aviv, Israel's hub of everything modern, industrial, and fun, is safer than most major U.S. cities. You can walk in Tel Aviv's "Central Park," Hayarkon Park, at night and not be attacked by bums. Israel maintains historical and religious’ sites sacredly (pun intended).


So I would say to all those who are holding back on coming to Israel because they think its dangerous, sandy, and full of daily terrorist attacks… come! After all, (if you are American) a large chunk of your tax money is going to this country anyway…


Here are some photos of last summers’ trip! :)

Jaffa, oldest continuously-working port in the world
Haifa- Bahai Gardens
View from Tel Aviv's tallest skyscaper

Dead Sea

1 comment: