Saturday, February 12, 2011

Assiduous Erudite Pleas for Limpid Cessacion

No, the title is not in German.
This is actual English, and these are actual English words I need to be able to learn, memorize, digest, and then regurgitate in two weeks... the day I have been waiting for... the day I face my fate... the day I take my GRE.

Now, I took several standardized tests to get into college, but honestly I never bothered studying. And, I did okay considering I go to the 53rd best college in the country. But I learned my lesson at this point, and I realized I really do have to study if I want to get into a decent graduate school.

It's going fairly well so far, and I've seen some pretty good results, but there's one thing I must whine about: the vocab. In the real word when are we going to have to use words like "raconteaur" (-n. a witty storyteller), or "legerdemain" (-n. trickery)? It does not make sense to me that I have to study 400 key GRE words when 10 of them will be on the test.

Frankly, I feel vapid (-adj. empty of interest) and dour (-adj. sullen, gloomy). Sure, it would be wonderful to impress people with my high vocabulary, but someone please tell me how this is supposed to measure how prepared you are to enter grad school... and the "real world." I have thing to say to GRE test-makers: you are nefarious (-adj. vicious, evil).

I must learn 400 words in 2 weeks. 

3 comments:

  1. Aw, don't be dour Lucia. You'll do great! I never enjoyed studying those long lists of vocabulary for the SAT, so I can't imagine doing it again! But good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're just trying to weed people out. It's sad, but most likely true. A lot of really intelligent people get lost in the mix when it comes time for these tests! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. que lindo tu blog!! me gusto mucho todo lo que escribís.. y al menos por aca me entero un poco de las cosas que haces en tu vida normal, Ah los vídeos están muy buenos también , vas a hacer una muy buena profesional!! ! Que difícil todas las palabras que tenes que aprenderte, mucha suerte para ese examen, tqm !! un beso grande, tu prima Maca.

    ReplyDelete