Friday, July 29, 2011

Devil's Millhopper: Gainesville Go-To

Walking down the sinkhole. A work-out going back up!
I think I might make it my mission to find the coolest things to do in and near Gainesville. The Devil's Millhopper sinkhole is definitly making the list. This mini get-away is a 120 feet-deep limestone sinkhole.

As you walk down, you'll find about a dozen little waterfalls trickling their way down to the bottom of the sinkhole. Since the sinkhole basically has it's own climate down there (it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winters), it is a home to three distinct ecological environments.

Here's an interesting fact I learned about this cool site (thank you, Internet): The sinkhole got its name because it looked like a hopper (chute) of a mill, and people also found bones at the bottom, so they concluded that animals entered the sinkhole on the way to meeting the devil. A little spooky, huh?
Entering the sinkhole. I'll admit it... now that I know what
Devil's Millhopper means, I'm a little scared to go back.

1 comment: